The Daddy Don Scholarship
SPONSORED BY: THE REACH FOR THE STARS FOUNDATION
Through the generosity of Mr. Jim and Mrs. Karen McIntyre, Bishop Walsh School is instituting the Daddy Don Scholarship. It is Jim and Karen’s wish that the scholarship will provide needed assistance to a student who would not have the opportunity to attend Bishop Walsh without some form of financial aid. The scholarship is in honor of Jim’s father, Don McIntyre. Mr. McIntyre owned and ran McIntyre’s on Cumberland Street for many years. McIntyre’s was the place to be after school in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. His integrity, kindness and warmth was a given to the high school students of Allegany High School and Bishop Walsh. The soda fountain and The Wall were pieces of Cumberland history that created a place of friendship and fun for anyone who attended the western Cumberland high schools. It is truly fitting for a scholarship to be named in honor of a man who was so good to so many.
The qualifications for the Daddy Don Scholarship are as follows:
- The student/athlete must participate in two sports.
- The student/athlete must maintain a 3.0 GPA for the entire year.
- The student must strive to be an outstanding representative to the community; therefore,the student/athlete will involve himself/herself in the following:
- Volunteer to work with the Adult Developmentally Disabled community one day a week during the school year and a one-week camp in the summer.
- Participate in a business development internship with S.A.F.E. Management in Baltimore for 2 weeks during the summer months. Details will be outlined during the interview.
- Be involved in a Holiday wish program. Reach for the Stars will fund the Holiday Wish. Further details during the interview.
Please fill out the following form in full; include your resume/activity sheet, guidance counselor signature, and
school transcript; and attach your essay (type written, double spaced, Times News Roman, Font 12); and mail
Daddy Don Scholarship
Bishop Walsh School
700 Bishop Walsh Road
Cumberland, MD 21502
Deadline for your application is July 5, 2019, and you will be informed of the foundation committee decision by
July 19, 2019. Thank you for your interest in Bishop Walsh School.